- 8 ounces fresh ground Mad Mike Chorizo, (use bulk or remove casings from link)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced or to taste
- 4 large bell peppers, preferably mix of colors, divided
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoons Mad Mike’s Yo’ Mama’s Garlic Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of Mad Mike’s Sizzling Steak Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or additional, if needed
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained in colander and rinsed
- 6 ounces Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In large skillet, over medium heat, sauté chorizo, breaking it up, onion, jalapeño, and 1 diced bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in quinoa, spices and chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is tender and most of liquid is absorbed, adding more if mixture becomes dry, about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black beans and diced cheese; mix well.
- Halve remaining 3 peppers lengthwise and place in 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Fill each half with 3/4 cup quinoa mixture, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover peppers and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and tops are beginning to brown, about 7-10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes and serve.
Adapted from Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Mad Mike's American Gourmet https://madmikesstore.com/